Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Time Moves On: Unanswered Questions

I have a few problems here at the family house.   First, I'm still working on the walls in the living room.  I Khiels'd the first coat, to get any marks covered, the previous paint was a flat coat, and now I'm waiting to do a real paint.  I have two potential people out there to paint.  But I really don't know if I want to have anyone here in the house, especially those that I don't know.  The last painters broke the spigot outside my house, and I didn't get that fixed for two years.  They did a cheap patch up job, that lasted about 8 months, but that hose gets tugged on because of watering plants and cleaning things.

I've put tape on the bottom of the walls and the sides and the windows and door frames, but not the ceilings.  Yes, I do need that!  I'm a beginner painter, and I want it to look better.  I've waited a whole month, pretty much because I wanted to pay someone else to do the actual paint.  But the last painters did a good job on one room and a crappy one on another.  So painting the living room has been a project that I've been contemplating for years.  I've called contractors in to get estimates and some of them have been high, not reflected what I knew to be the truth about what is under the paint currently, nor a real life scenario to get the walls "pretty."  They're old.  They're plaster, and they need work.  The last contractor, who actually addressed all those issues wanted 500 dollars a day to send a painter to work on the walls.  I didn't do that.  Not only do I think that's outrageous, but I am hyper aware that repairs on this house don't always work well.   It's easier to get a job done if you know people who do repairs.  I don't.

So my thinking was that I'd get the walls and trim painted, and then re-varnish the floors.  The kits to re-varnish are either oil based, or some other thing,  and I don't know how to use any of them.  So all of this repair is just an experiment, where I hope I do no harm.  And then I'd subtly change the furniture.  The room is kind of small, like the house, and when I moved in there were three huge sets of shelving, that thankfully were not too heavy to move.  The largest is still here, and one of the smaller ones is going back in it's spot, but I feel so oppressed with things built up high.  When I put other shelving in, I want it to only be waist high, and actually, this whole pack rat phenomenon that all my family seems to have, simply must stop!  I purchased a new refrigerator and a new washer, but have yet to work on the kitchen, where I need a new sink and counter set up.  I don't think I have the strength to install that myself. 

I have to get yet another lawn mower to do the lawn this summer.  I break one about every 6 weeks.  I think it's because I get the cheap ones and I have a lot of lawn to do, so I'm getting a better one this summer.  As I write this, I have several spots of poison ivy like irritation on my arms because the bushes, some kind of weed that grows under my fence from my neighbors yard, touched my arms when I started clipping the branches.  I've gotten rid of over half of it, but there is still more to do.  The large 48 inch pot that sits on the edge of the faux rock patio in back has some type of green plant, is grayed and broken up and needs to be replaced soon if I want to save the plants.  I don't know the names of them, but the plants left here, about thirty, are down to about less than ten over three years.  I don't have a green thumb, and the dog gets out and plays with the pots, and digs in the ground, no matter what I do to her.  My plan is to get about 8 bags of topsoil to even out the lawn, cover it with grass seed and then straw to get a good growth spurt.  I've waited a bit long for planting seed, but I am doing things all at one time.  Lifting heavy things is awfully difficult, and the lawn is actually the last thing I wanted to do on the house, except to cut and maintain it this summer.

I've managed to survive here for 2 and a half years, despite all the problems I've uncovered.  I've had to survive through the threats I've gotten here, and the denial of everyone around me that they existed.  My dad said he dealt with them too, and I didn't believe him then, but I do now.  People go into my security fenced yard at night late, and they play around.  I have pulled several tops off the clothes line that have holes clipped in them on the bust.  I've had that happen a few times.  That kind of slasher psycho behavior is frightening, not funny when you realize that someone murdered my dad's dog and then burned down his fence and tried to break into the garage about six years ago.  If you went through my neighbors yard, it would be easy to just hop over the 6 foot privacy fence.  The rest of the fence has thick bamboo, and the fence surrounding it and poison ivy type plants.  Mostly, people would likely avoid that area.  And bamboo when it grows thickly often leaves only a few inches between plants.  I wonder if someone here is jealous that I have a large bust?  Why else would someone put holes in my tops over the boob? 


No comments:

Post a Comment